Saturday, March 20, 2010

Indus Maths Club - An Introduction

I have been an ardent Maths fan from my childhood. Various forms of Mathematics viz. Number theory, topology, geometry, algebra, calculus etc. have always intrigued me with their sheer power and their applications in real world. The work of different mathematicians in their respective fields also used to impressed me a lot and created an awe in my mind.


I always did well in Maths throughout my academic career; be it in school or for 12th or in engineering and also during my PG in IIT Bombay. I did perform excellently in various state level Mathematics exams, the likes of Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, 4th & 7th scholarship, Pravinya exams etc. Later, in my career, I was never directly involved in any mathematical activity but the curiosity, interest and passion remained. I continued reading different books based on Maths and also participated in different workshops.


One thing that always kept coming in my mind in all these years is the general lack of enthusiasm the students show for this subject. Either students dont enjoy studying it or they study it just for scoring higher marks in academics. Only few people really enjoy studying it, playing with it and thinking about it. Why such a classic subject is treated in this way? What might be the reasons? I think the main reason behind it is the way this subject is being taught to the students - as a lifeless abstract subject of numbers. Students hardly know its applicability in real life apart from the basic uses like counting. This is in spite of the fact that an average student learn Maths at least for 12 to 15 years of his life.


I did some thinking on this and thought of starting some activities for school / college going students in the area of Maths; especially for school going kids as they are in their formative years of learning. So on the auspicious day of 22nd March 2010 (which marks the New Year Day as per the solar calendar adopted by India), I along with few of my collegeagues plan to start a club dedicated to Maths, with more focus on Indian Vedic Maths, called Indus Maths Club. We plan to nurture a deep interest in Maths for children in their formative years. We want to cultivate a strong desire within their young minds towards the learning of Maths. It is said that the best mathematical work that happens in a mathematician's life happens only in first 30 years of his life. We want to capture those initial years of the students, engage them in various mathematical activities, and kindle the desire to learn this wonderful subject.

We plan to do different activities such as:


  • Workshops
  • Seminars
  • Boot camps
  • Building Community
  • Lecture Series of Eminent Personalities in Mathematics
  • Quizzes and Contests
  • Competitions
  • Preparing students for various other Mathematical competitions
  • Blogging
  • Short Picnics

One can't be a successful sailor just by imbibing professional training; one must inculcate a deep desire of sea within him to achieve that. Through this initiative of Indus Maths Club, we want to inculcate a deep desire for Mathematics in the young minds by simply acting as catalysts. I hope we would be successful in this endeavour.

On behalf of the club, I would like to assure you that this blog would be active with lots of articles, puzzles, fun, announcements and other such stuff. If you have any suggestions please leave a comment. I would be more than happy to read and if possible implement them.

No comments:

Post a Comment